World War 2 Quotes
- We no longer demand anything, we want war. - Germany's foreign minister, August 1939.
- Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.
- Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue.
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz (March 16, 1945)
- No other island received as much preliminary pounding as did Iwo Jima.
- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet
- The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years.
- James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy (February 23, 1945)
- Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler. Just like I'd shoot a snake!
- General George S. Patton, Jr (addressing to his troops before Operation Overlord, June 5, 1944)
- We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill.
- The world must know what happened, and never forget. - General Eisenhower, while visiting nazi death camps, 1945.
- History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union. - Henry Stimson.
- Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue - Admiral Nimitz.
- I believe it is peace in our time.- Neville Chamberlain, 1938
- Today we rule Germany, tomorrow, the world. - Adolf Hitler
- I am asking of no man more than I myself was ready throughout four years to do - Adolf Hitler
- I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill, about R.A.F fighter pilots.
- We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit.
- General George S. Patton, Jr (addressing his troops prior to Operation Overlord, June 5, 1944)
- I shall return.
- General Douglas Macarthur, Supreme Allied Commander of South-West Pacific (speaking about the Philippines, when he was forced to retreat to Austrailia, 1942)
- History - in every century,
records an act that lives forevermore.
We'll recall - as in to line we fall,
the thing that happened on Hawaii's shore.
- United in this determination and with unshakable faith in the cause for which we fight, we will, with God's help, go forward to our greatest victory.
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower (1944)
- They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
- Lieutenant General Thomas Holcomb (1943)
- I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. - Winston Churchill.
- The gallantry and aggressive fighting spirit of the Russian soldiers command the American army's admiration.
- George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, U.S. Army
- The scale and grandeur of the Russian effort mark it as the greatest military achievement in all history.
- General Douglas Macarthur, Supreme Allied Commander of South-West Pacific
- Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!
- Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe (Guadalcanal, January 13, 1943)
- Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning.
- Colonel David M. Shoup (Tarawa, November 21, 1943)
<< World War 2 Quotes
World War 2 >>